Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Seventh Grade Blues

I’M SO EMBARRESSED or

THAT 7TH GRADE FEELING

In 7th grade I was all arms and legs-
Knocking into things, my socks slipped down
Into my shoes, my blouse untucked
My hair declaring independence from any sense of place –
I wore the clothes my mother liked.
I didn’t think I fit, so sure was I
That everybody noticed what I wore
And each dumb thing I said.

I went to church last Sunday, just a little late
The congregation watched as we walked down
To sit in front. The other seats were taken
By better folk whose lives are organized
And neat. I sang the hymns my best, a bit off key,
My husband said, but loud.

We stayed for coffee after church.
I stood alone with coffee in my hand
The black stockings I had worn looked very blue.
Should not have worn a skirt!
My hair is standing quite on end today
Great white wires going every way.
If someone comes to chat, what will I say?
The cookie that I’m holding’s shedding crumbs.

Helen came, removed a cat hair from my sleeve
And asked me how I was. I’m fine, I said,
And so is Fred. We talked of her and me and church
Til Judy joined us, and Sue, and Natalie
Who had surgery a week ago. It turned out well.

I’m all grown up from 7th grade, I think
Until the next time when I stand alone, with Styrofoam
Of coffee in my hand.

2 comments:

  1. Kay, I absoloutely loved this. I can't imagine you being a gawky kid, and certainly can't imagine you saying stupid things. I do remember feeling very self conscious myself at that age, and you brought back some pretty powerful memories to this old lady. Also, I can sure identify with the "white wires going every way." As usual, you show your heart and soul in each piece of writing you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem nicely captures the awkardness we feel at every age! I don't think we ever outgrow that 7th grade feeling. Whenever my daughters are nervous about new social situations, I tell them that this is something that never really goes away. Even grown-ups feel conspicuous and self-conscious. No one likes to stand alone outside a group, worried about how she looks or what she'll say. Well done.

    ReplyDelete